Description: The Peter Hall Award is the most prestigious prize awarded by the IPHS. It recognizes sustained excellence for a body of published work which has made an outstanding contribution to international scholarship and conveyed the relevance of planning history to contemporary planning challenges.
Criteria: The principal criteria for the award are:
- A quantum of published writings (books, book chapters, journal articles, conference papers, reports, other writings) forming a distinctive and coherent contribution to planning history.
- Evidence for a sustained engagement with scholarship of theoretical and/or empirical excellence.
- Evidence of wider impact of research contributions on planning practice and/or policy.
- Evidence of international impact.
Timing: To be awarded biennially at the IPHS Conference, initially at Yokohama 2018.
Award: A certificate, inscribed medallion, and complimentary registration to the conference at which the prize is to be awarded.
Process: Nominations following a template to be adjudged by a special committee of the IPHS Council.
Caveats: The Society reserves the right to not make an award. The award is to a living individual but in exceptional circumstances may be made jointly or posthumously. The award is not necessarily confined to an IPHS member. A joint award may be given.
The nomination process:
Via Nomination Form
- Full name, present position and contact details of the nominee must be provided.
- A nomination must be made with the consent of the nominee.
- Nominators (proposer and seconders) must be financial members of the IPHS.
- Information required: a citation of up to 700 words in support of the nominee, a bibliography of selected major works, a CV, and any additional documentation which elaborates the claims in the citation.
- Deadline 15th December 2017
- Nominations to be submitted electronically to: email@example.com
2018 Award Committee:
A five person committee chaired by a member of the IPHS Council, including the current President and Vice-President, and appointed by the President:
Robert Freestone (Chair); John Pendlebury; Rosemary Wakeman; Christine Garnaut (Vice President); and Dirk Schubert (President)
Members of the IPHS Council may be contacted confidentially about nominations.